Saturday, March 1, 2014

Spring - perhaps

The red-wing blackbirds are back. There’s been all kinds of singing going on the last few days, but the throaty calls of the newcomers are unmistakable. It feels (and now sounds) like spring. I’m still hoping for more winter weather though and the forecast looks hopeful.

We’ve started getting calves; six born overnight.

I’ve been walking to ranch headquarters in the morning with my dog Kate since it warmed up. I sang a tune to her today that I remember from my childhood:

K-K-K-Katy, beautiful lady, you’re the only one that I-I-I- adore.
When the m-moonshines, over the cow shed, I’ll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door.

We met Mark making his rounds on the 4-wheeler as he came out of the heifer field. He had me hold onto his new heated handle bars so I could see how warm they were. Nice! He was forever freezing his hands before his Mom got him the upgrade as a Christmas present. Even a cowboy benefits from new technology. I told him next he would be asking for eggs in his beer. The down side? He's run down the battery twice when he turned off the 4-wheeler and forgot to unhook the heating unit.  

If you read my blog much, you know I don’t sugarcoat the ranching life. It’s basically just life. I have my challenges day in and out just being happy. It’s good to be me of late, however. I make the brisk 10-minute walk to work, check in with great grandma, feed cows for a couple of hours, walk back, then spend the day doing whatever else I choose. It’s generally productive work, but it’s my own schedule and for that I’m grateful.

Gary is always quoting someone or other. This is a good one, not necessarily about ranching - just living. “It’s a great life if you don’t weaken.”


I wrote this yesterday, and overnight we had snow. These two are tending their very first calves and doing a good job of it.





1 comment: